Skip to content

DMPP Cymus – CIA Emulation Library

Now that I have a somewhat working M68000 emulation, I can finally focus on the rest of the Amiga system. Currently most of the system is stubbed out with a couple of dummy functions so I can see when something interesting happens.

I have reached now reached a point, where I can’t fake out the CIA functionality anymore, because the Amiga OS tries to use the timers and the TOD (Time-of-Day clock). Apropos TOD – in german the word “TOD” means “death”, so using that abbreviation in the source code gives me the shivers. In UAE’s CIA source code, I even found the words “TOD Hack” – which sounds to me like “chop to death” – (brrr ! horrible !).

However, I’ll stick with that word since “tz” (for “Tageszeit”) does not seem to be any better. I grabbed the MOS CIA 6526 datasheet linked from the Wikipedia article and the information from the Amiga HRM. As an additional reference, I am also looking into the CIA implementation of the MAME project (as I have done for the M68000 implementation). MAME  is a pretty large project, but from what I have seen so far, I really like the overall code quality and the CIA implementation is no exception.

From the combined information, I created a first class design:

DMPP/Cymus CIA Class Design

I find creating UML diagrams during software development very useful. I can verify and review the software design on different levels. When designing, I first create a rough draft and then try to verify it with a prototype (usually written in Ruby or Python) to get quick feedback, so I can feel how well it works. I then iterate a couple of times until the design seems to meet the requirements.

A while ago, I had created the project “Dream Machine Preservation Project”, which I currently use as an incubator to experiment with a couple of ideas, which will hopefully one day lead to a full Amiga emulation.

The CIA library is the first thing I checked into the public git repository on Sourceforge. The implementation is still incomplete, because features are added as they are needed in the Amiga emulator. It was originally written in Scala, but when I decided to make a separate library out of it, I changed the implementation language to Java. This was mainly because I did not want to force users of the CIA library (assuming that there could be someone else besides me) to have to add the Scala library or having to know Scala in order to compile it.

One Comment

  1. I am currently myself checking out the CIA, by BASHING the hardware and looking at the read out.

    The site i reffered to is a site working on a Amiga compatible, you might have already found it yourself if not, com and enjoy the fun!

    Friday, May 28, 2010 at 6:32 am | Permalink

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *
*
*